The laundry room is typically not my most favorite place to be. The room itself means work. Washing, drying, folding, ironing...it never ends. Our laundry room was definitely not a favorite room in the house, nor was the storage that was in there. The house was built in the 70's which means there are quite a few 70's elements we are slowing but surely updating/replacing. One of those elements was the laundry room storage. There were several shelves hung on the walls, (sorry for the lack of pictures) which meant all laundry & cleaning supplies were scattered about willy-nilly and it drove me crazy! There was no organization and definitely no sense of "style". We removed the shelves, painted the laundry room a beautiful gray, which is quickly becoming a favorite color of mine, and were left with clean walls, but nowhere to store all of the said laundry & cleaning supplies. Creativity has commenced.
We knew we needed some sort of closed cabinet, and something we could either DIY or repurpose. We like the unusual. The key to this process is patience. We spent many Saturdays scouring antique stores & many evenings on Craigslist looking for just the right thing at just the right price. Then we found this gem.......
As soon as I saw it I knew it was the one. Solid wood...and TONS of potential. We found it at a local antique store for $80. It was perfect. I couldn't wait to get it home & work some magic.
With a little help, off we went. I first took the top "shelving" unit off. Sanded the cabinet a bit to help it grab the paint. Removed all hardware and went to painting. I used an old can of paint/primer we had here. Solid white. After I was finished with that, I thought it needed a little something else. (Again, sorry for the lack of pictures) So I got out my trusty sanding pad & began distressing the cabinet. It worked pretty well. Then I got really brave & tried this....
This stuff is AMAZING! It was so easy to do! (I feel this needs a disclaimer so here goes - *I am in no way being paid to endorse this product, I'm just a satisfied customer.*) I put this on after painting. I mixed a small amount of this with my white paint. Brushed it on and then took a rag and wiped it clean. It was so easy & I loved the results! Here are the after photos ....what I know everyone was waiting on. ;-)
I just loved how distressed it looked after using the antiquing glaze! I had the knobs leftover from a previous project, so they were perfect for this.
OH! And here's here's the best part....the top is an ironing board! Yes, that's right! We put batting under there and can now use that for our ironing board! Two birds...one stone! Ha - no pun intended! Love it! The hubby came up with that idea and I was quite impressed!
So that's it. That's our new storage for the laundry room and I could not be happier. It literally just took a day to do too!
Now...I think I'll go catch up on my ironing....maybe.